Monday, October 24, 2011

In the spirit of breast cancer awareness...

It is currently freezing in our room and my hands are ice but I am making myself some tea and settling down for a night of relaxation. And by relaxation I mean blogging, skyping Joshua, and then sleeping.

So, Ali and I just went to another RA's program tonight called paralyzing parabens. I had seen the posters all week and kept wondering what the heck a paraben was. Well I got the answer! It is a chemical; one of the 80,000 chemicals registered for use in the United States. This particular chemical is a known cause of breast cancer in male and females. I find this quite disturbing.

Why might you ask? Well lets see, I am a female and after examining my shower and moisturizing products I have discovered that indeed some of my products contain parabens and since I am a woman I am already at a higher risk of breast cancer than lets say.... oh I dont know, MEN!
This is also scary because it is found in many of the products we use daily such as makeup, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion, cleaning supplies, and other house hold items.

So tonight, Ben (the other RA) wanted us to leave with something and I left with something. I am one person but I know people and those people know more people. So since the people I love read these posts, leave with this much: go and check your products because even though they FDA has recognized it as a problem they have not banned it from being used in everyday products. So I am not saying to throw out everything you have that contains these chemicals but next time you're stocking up check the label! Look for the 6 types of parabens methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, isobutylparaben, butylparaben and benzylparaben.
Cool kinda scary video...
http://www.kabntr.org/videos/keep-a-breast-foundation-non-toxic-revolution-psa/

Okay so onto happier subjects! I took my second biology test today and I went to my professor's office hours after class to review the answers. I only got one wrong! I am very pleased with this as you may imagine. And I got 100% on my ASL pop quiz so I am really pleased with that too!

And then after class I came back to my awesome hall to be greated by my amazing RA Blair (sometimes when I yell her name from across the dining hall I say Blair-Bea... like beautiful... but I don't think she has noticed quite yet...in time). Anyways she LOVES GLITTER! And I must admit it rubs off on me. She reminds me of glitter too, she is always smiling her sparkling smile and you can't help but be happy around her, just like glitter, always sparkling and you can't ever not be happy around it. She set up a program tonight for the girls in our hall for about me posters that we can post up around the hall so that we all know each other and that way our visitors can get to know us too!

We are the only all girls hall in Ackerman (our dorm) and we are called First Taylor but we like, Charm school, the estrogen hall, and first tea. Or choice of drug is hero-win because we refuse to hero-lose, and we know how to have fun playing board games until the early hours of the morning. We have education, nursing, psychology, anthropology, communications, broadcasting, biology, and ASL majors among others. We are diverse and different but I can dig it!

Like I said, I love college. I only have one complaint. I like news, I really do. I like to stay somewhat informed on the happenings around me especially since I am of age to vote now. At college we are supposed to be recieving a higher education, and we are but I really feel like I'm in a bubble, I don't know anything about the country, or the world. I try to catch up at the gym because there are TV's there but lets be honest, its really hard to find motivation from Fox News.... I did just find out about an earthquake in Turkey? So many natural disasters lately, but they're in our hopes and prayers.

Well that is all, time for JOSHUA<3

Goodbye for now and sorry for the rants but I am an outspoked college student so get used to them;)
With love and best wishes,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment